You have secret single behaviors, right?!
There is an episode of Sex and the City where Carrie talks about her secret single behaviors, her SSBs, those behaviors you indulge in only when alone (Vogue even talked about it here!). I remember watching that episode and wondering if when I was married or living with someone, would I have habits that I would only break out when he isn’t around?
I’ve been married for just over 18 months now and I can say, yes, yes I do.
On a recent evening leaving work, I received a text from my husband. “Hi, have to go to a work dinner, be home later.” I was initially disappointed. We had made plans that morning to have a quiet night in. But as I thought about what it meant, I just started to smile. If A wasn’t home, I had the house all to myself. (Side note – while I am a step-mom of 3, they do not live full time with us. So generally speaking if my husband isn’t home, then there is an empty house.)
When I got home, I started to do things that I haven’t done in months, but things that felt so comfortable to do when home by myself, such as…
– Do you know how there are some “around the house” clothes that your partner may not like? Yeah, I put those on first thing.
– I poured myself a glass of the good wine.
– I lit a smelly candle that I carried with me from room to room.
– I turned on pop music way too loud, featuring the latest from Britney Spears and Taylor Swift, and danced as I made dinner.
– I ate dinner while watching my guilty pleasure TV show, Grey’s Anatomy.
– I then painted my nails in front of the TV without a towel underneath me to protect the rug. (I know, major risk taker!) Currently loving this color.
– I then started cleaning while watching Grey’s Anatomy.
– Feeling satisfied, it was face mask time! Currently in love with this one from Fresh.
– And then feeling productive it was time for chocolate, specifically the thin mints in my freezer. (I bought a case… I mean, if they only sell them once a year, why not right?!)
– Then it was time to put away the evidence and head to bed before 9:30pm. (I’m totally a night owl…)
Sometimes you just need a night to do the things that you want to do, without having input or questions from anyone, even the man you love the most. I eat thin mints with him, I may even dance with him or paint my nails in front of him, but doing it all in one night in that order without a care in the world, that is unique. And that is what makes it my secret single behavior.
What behaviors of your single life have (or you think will) carry over into your relationships?!