After having gone through the newborn phase with two kids, I’ve changed what I gift to new moms. I used to think that the best gift was a sweet outfit for the baby or maybe a cute toy. While those are totally appreciated, I can tell you that after having a baby, the mommy could use some love too! New moms are exhausted. They are recovering from whatever kind of delivery they had, their clothes probably do not fit the way they want, and they have very little time to take care of themselves because they are dedicated to their adorable, but very needy little one. So, what do I recommend giving to moms with a freshly minted newborn? A care package just for mom! The goal of the care package is to include things that would add a little joy into their day and make things easier for her. If mom feels good, she can be her best in taking care of baby!
Here are some things that I like to include:
– Healthy snacks like KIND granola bars or trail mix. A new mom is so hungry – particularly if they are breastfeeding – and there is little time to grab something to eat! Bonus if you live nearby and can deliver homemade snacks or meals!
– Nice smelling lotion. If you don’t have time to shower, putting on something that smells good can help raise your spirits.
– Face wipes. See above. These can make you feel refreshed when you can’t shower!
– Water bottle. If mom is breastfeeding, she is SO thirsty all the time and this would be a thoughtful addition. It’s much easier to take a water bottle from room to room than a glass of water.
– Lip balm or chapstick. Another self care item that is probably lacking for the mom of a newborn.
– Hair bands. To keep hair out of the way when feeding baby or to pull back unwashed hair!
– Hulu or Netflix subscription. New moms spend an inordinate amount of time on the couch feeding or holding baby so having some fresh things to watch is much appreciated. Let the binge watching begin!
What do you give to new moms (or dads)? Any other ideas?